You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘arugula’ category.
Thank you “Better Homes & Gardens” for this really tasty recipe! We all enjoyed it for supper tonight, and recommend it heartily to you!
Beet, Blue Cheese and Almond Salad
- 7 medium beets
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces creamy blue cheese (we didn’t put in this much, and we thought it was perfect with less)
- 2-4 ounces of toasted almonds sliced or slivers, you choose
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, arugula, or cilantro
Trim and peel beets. Cut six beets in bite sized pieces. Place in a steamer rack over a pot of boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for 20-25 minutes until tender.
Coarsely grate the remaining beet, place in a large bowl. For dressing, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt to a paste, add to grated beet along with the oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. When the beets are cooked, toss them with the dressing. Cool to room temperature.
Crumble blue cheese over the salad and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
Makes 6 servings
A Quick Meal using up leftover salmon.
1. Start with a layer of Arugula (or salad mix) on a plate or in a bowl
2. Sprinkle with fresh blueberries
3. Crumble on salmon fillet pieces (or substitute tuna?)
4. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar (I like balsamic or apple cider vinegar)
5. Serve with fresh steamed green beans on the side or over the top
6. Optional: add sliced almonds or sprouted lentils
PS it would turn into a gourmet lunch or light supper with the addition of the neighboring grilled bread recipe.